[mythtv-users] help: i can't record tv after upgrade to ubuntu-13.04/mythtv-0.26

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Tue Jul 2 16:58:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:44:03 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM, <mythtv at raf.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Thomas Mashos wrote:
> [snip]
> >Let me be absolutely clear, running an LTS version of Ubuntu does not mean
> >it is out of date. Further, it makes zero sense to upgrade something as
> >significant as the OS purely because there is a new version of Ubuntu
> >available (specifically when talking about appliance devices like MythTV
> >boxes). There is a reason that the Mythbuntu team only provides LTS
> >releases of Mythbuntu every 2 years and provides MythTV updates via the
> >MythTV updates repo for that LTS release. That reason is because for some
> >strange reason, people like to take a perfectly fine MythTV appliance, and
> >upgrade it for no other reason than a new Ubuntu version is out. For a
> >MythTV system, a new Ubuntu version offers nothing over an LTS release of
> >Mythbuntu. I can't think of a single reason that I would recommend
> >installing a non-LTS version of Ubuntu/Mythbuntu for a MythTV install.
> >

> There is one compelling reason that I can think of for upgrading the
> Ubuntu version, and that is to get a later version of the kernel with
> support for devices (such as new tuners) that is not present in older
> kernels.  If a kernel is released with proper support for Nvidia
> Optimus GPUs, then I will certainly be wanting to install that on my
> laptop so I can use MythTV with VDPAU on my Nvidia GPU instead of
> having to use the Intel GPU.
>
> Some people also use their general purpose Linux box as their MythTV
> box, so they may well need to upgrade for some non-MythTV purpose.
>
> [snip]

For new hardware reasons, LTS releases have point releases (eg. 12.04.1,
12.04.2) that include a new kernel and X stack. See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack for details.

For non-mythtv reasons, let me restate "Further, it makes zero sense to
upgrade something as significant as the OS purely because there is a new
version of Ubuntu available (specifically when talking about appliance
devices like MythTV boxes)"

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos