[mythtv-users] Custom Recording Rule - How To Record First Showing?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jul 1 16:00:11 UTC 2013

> While I normally want my Myth box to record a later showing to avoid
> conflicts, I do not want this with baseball games.  I have power search
> rules that record the games I want but many times, they are rebroadcast
> later. Thus Myth records the rebroadcast instead of the live game to avoid
> conflicts.  Is it possible to add something to the power search rule so it
> records the live game instead of the rebroadcast?

There are a couple of approaches you can take.

1. raise the priority of the game's recording rule... sometimes this is
enough, depends on what it is conflicting with.
2. Set the "First Showing" filter in the schedule options (in conjunction
with #1 this should do what you want)

Warning, setting #2 can have unexpected consequences... for example if it
doesn't record the first showing for some reason, it will not record the
second.  Additionally, your guide data may not specify that it is the first
showing... which can cause it not to record, or cause it not to get the
priority that you want.

3. Manually, in the "upcoming recordings" screen, tell it to "record
anyway" which will add an override to your schedule forcing it to record
the earlier showing, even if it is disruptive to the rest of your schedule.