[mythtv-users] Realtime H.264 from an HDHomeRun: Why not us?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Jul 1 04:30:31 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-30, at 11:25 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:

> In a nutshell - and I'm a just a dumb end-user so I could be wrong - It explains how to use ffmpeg to grab the http output from an HDHomeRun beta build and transcode it in realtime to H.264, split up into a seekable format that pretty much any modern device can play back.

The command is a raw version of what myth’s HLS does so it comes with all the benefits and limitations of the built-in feature. On the other hand, having an outside program messing with resources myth thinks it “owns” causes problems with device coordination and state management so it’s not a good idea for a myth using household.

The one nice thing with this ffmpeg line is you can stream live TV although there’s no technical reason why myth couldn’t. I think the issue is no one is very interested in implementing live TV HLS.

> Right now I use Plex Media Server on a Windows box (connected to Myth over SMB) to serve up transcoded content because it just works better than HTTP Live Streaming under Torc / etc. Myth's HLS is ok but it just takes too long to 'spin up' and there's no ability to fast forward or jump around like there is playing back recordings via Plesk.

I’m not familiar with plex but you can start a new transcode, immediately jump to the last five minutes, and it will follow you and only transcode that last five minutes? That sounds neet.

There’s an intention to make myth’s HLS work a similar way where you will be able to jump around a program and myth will follow you and only transcode what you’re asking for. It would be much more responsive assuming you have the hardware to keep up. You can read what has been said by searching the archives for terms like: Chris, Pinkham, HLS, on, demand.

> Just the ramblings of a dumb end-user, so feel free to let me know if this is a ridiculous request.

It’s good and reasonable stuff that has already been noted, considered, and a solution drawn up. A little different from what you’re thinking but it’ll get to the same place. I’m not involved with the implementation but the likely timeframe is, as usual, it will happen when it happens.

- George