[mythtv-users] Realtime H.264 from an HDHomeRun: Why not us?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 03:25:23 UTC 2013

I came across the following post recently:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14612

In a nutshell - and I'm a just a dumb end-user so I could be wrong - It
explains how to use ffmpeg to grab the http output from an HDHomeRun beta
build and transcode it in realtime to H.264, split up into a seekable
format that pretty much any modern device can play back.

My question / comment / whatever is... Can this at the very least be added
to MythWeb in lieu of the Flash playback? And to extend it a step further,
perhaps use this as the default playback for things like uPNP?

Right now I use Plex Media Server on a Windows box (connected to Myth over
SMB) to serve up transcoded content because it just works better than HTTP
Live Streaming under Torc / etc. Myth's HLS is ok but it just takes too
long to 'spin up' and there's no ability to fast forward or jump around
like there is playing back recordings via Plesk. Perhaps baking this
realtime transcoding into MythWeb coupled with some sort of symlink'ed
filesystem over SMB would be the way to go?

Just the ramblings of a dumb end-user, so feel free to let me know if this
is a ridiculous request.

-Matt