[mythtv-users] help: i can't record tv after upgrade to ubuntu-13.04/mythtv-0.26

raf mythtv at raf.org
Mon Jul 1 01:48:09 UTC 2013

Michael Watson wrote:

> Raf,
>
>     Ubuntu has a habit of assigning the hostname of the machine in
> /etc/hosts with an ip address of 127.0.1.1, which I have found doesnt
> play nicely with Myth.

thanks for that. i had no idea. what a strange thing for it to do.
i'm surprised i never noticed it. although it's probably been like
that for ages. i suppose it's mostly harmless.

>     Your machine should have a static IP address, not one assigned by
> DHCP from your router, as depending on your router, this may changed
> on a reboot.

it does have a static address.
it is the dns+dhcp server for my network.

>     Check that your /etc/hosts file has a line with the correct IP
> address, and hostname.

now that i've renamed the 127.0.1.1 address to be "localhost-ubuntu",
the "real" address for the hostname is coming from dns like it's supposed to.

>     In mythtv-setup check that the master backend IP address has the
> correct IP address.

it does.

>     Run "dpkg -l | grep myth | grep ii", without the quotes, ensure
> that all the MythTV packages are the same version, the mythbuntu
> packages will have different version numbers, (ubuntu update may not
> have upgraded them all properly, in particular the libmyth package)

they are all the same version (2:0.26.0+fixes.20121118.340b5d4-0ubuntu1).

so mythweb shouldn't be affected by the php incompatibility
but i'm getting exactly the same behaviour as i was getting
when i had the version that was affected. i.e. in the browser,
i just see two hyperlinks to "http://127.0.0.1/mythweb/root_url"
with the link text "MythTV" one above the other and in my
apache error.log appear the messages:

 File does not exist: /var/www/html/mythweb/skin_urlimg...

the last time i had these exact symptoms, the patches in #10504 fixed
the problem so i assumed that the same problem was causing them but it
seems not. i've just had a look at mythtv/mythweb sources and the patches
are no longer needed.

i'm also seeing this in apache's error.log

 PHP Warning:  Failed to open translation file:  modules_path/_shared/lang/English.lang...

ah, i see what the problem is. the ubuntu upgrade replaced my
/etc/apache2/sites-available/mythweb.conf with a new one. the upgrade
script sensibly copied the mysql variables across from the old one
but it didn't copy the existing mythweb directory path so it replaced
my correct path (/var/www/html/mythweb) with a default broken path
(/var/www/mythweb/mythweb). i should have known. :-)

mythweb is now working again. yay!

> Regards
> Michael

many thanks again, michael.