[mythtv-users] Need help - partitioning foobar

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 17:38:21 UTC 2013

On 30/01/13 17:27, Craig Huff wrote:
> Sigh... I just realized I've been top posting again.
>
> While I like Gmail in general, I keep forgetting that little box at
> the bottom of the compose screen is hiding quoting of all the previous
> discussion in the thread.  I'll try to do better.
>
> Anyway, I can't "apt-get install gdisk" when running UBCD
> PartitionMagic image (nor have I found any other way to download and
> install a copy) and it doesn't appear to be included independently on
> UBCD 5.1.1.  The gdisk installed on my MythBuntu 10.04 system is
> version 0.5.1 and it doesn't appear to support JFS as a partition
> type.
>
> So, back to my earlier question: When partitioning using GPT (instead
> of MBR) for the partitioning data while running gparted 0.9.0, should
> I go with MiB alignment and the minimum 1 MiB free space and start at
> sector 2048 or align on cylinder boundaries and start with sector 0?

The disk probably has a large physical sector size. I'm not sure what you might
lose by going for sector zero but I'd play it safe and choose the larger number
it proposed. After all, it's a 2Tb disk. Are you really that worried about
losing 2048 * 512 logical sectors = 1MB disk space?

--

Mike Perkins