[mythtv-users] Need help - partitioning foobar

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Jan 30 16:44:36 UTC 2013

> Now I just need to figure out how to partition the new (2TB) disk that I
> was trying to work on in the first place.  If I use gparted 0.9.0, I came
> up with two ways to partition it, but neither starts at sector 64, which I
> believe is where I need to start an optimized partition (yes/no?).  If I
> tell it to align to MiB, it requires a minimum of 1 MiB free space before
> the partition and the resulting partition starts at sector 2048.  If I tell
> it to align to cylinder boundaries, it will let me specifiy zero (0) free
> space and start with sector 0.
>
> Since this disk is intended just to store video recordings on (this _is_ a
> MythTV system after all ;-) and I keep my O/S on a separate drive, it there
> any reason not to go with this latter option and start at sector 0?

I recommend using GPT instead of MBR on a disk that size... it's probably
an advanced format disk.  I would just "apt-get install gdisk" and use that
to create the GPT and partitions; its ridiculously easy.  I know that
gparted has been updated to support GPT, but I don't recall what version
that came in, and IIRC it's a bit more complicated to be sure you get it
right.

Good luck!