[mythtv-users] Need help - partitioning foobar

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 16:15:42 UTC 2013

Craig Huff wrote:
> Do I just use gparted again and format it as JFS using the whole disk as I did originally

You ** MUST NOT ** format the partition, that will lose your data.

The trick is that deleting the partition does not actually alter any data within the partition. As long as you've done nothing since deleting the partition, the old filesystem will be completely intact and just sat there on the disk. If you recreate the partition but do **NOT** format it then the filesystem will magically reappear.
The tricky bit is if you don't know what the partitions were - but in this case you do, it's 63 to "end of disk" so should be easy to recreate.

Key thing to remember - partition is not the same thing as filesystem. The partition is merely an area on the disk together with it's entry in teh partition table. The filesystem is a set of data constructs within that area of disk which create the layout fo files and directories you are used to working with. A lot of people don't realise the distinction as they only ever create partitions once (when installing the OS), and the installer tool both partitions the disk AND creates the filesystems in one go.