[mythtv-users] Video Scanning Problem

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 29 03:43:21 UTC 2013

On 1/28/2013 22:22, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 29/01/2013 2:00 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 1/28/2013 21:06, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Alternatively, just always scan from a frontend on the host you want to
>>> "own" the videos.  (I /think/ that will work to keep them owned by that
>>> host, but I'm not positive.)
>>
>> Shouldn't make any difference. The scanner runs through a list of
>> backends, storing file paths to a map with no checking for an existing
>> entry at that name. The list of backends is stored in order of
>> connection to the master backend, starting with the master backend
>> itself. It pretty much guarantees that in such a configuration, the
>> master backend would never own anything, and files would just keep
>> cycling back and forth among the slaves currently active at the time
>> of the scan.
>
> Seems odd behavior.
> Whats the purpose of the hostname value in storagegroups for?

Ideally, all storage groups should be defined on the master backend. The
hostname allows you to configure overrides specific to one slave backend.

> Whats the purpose of the hostname value in videometadata for?

Same as for recordings, it records the host one which that video can be
found, so frontends know what backend to stream it from if they cannot
find it in their own local filesystem.