[mythtv-users] Lirc vs IR-Keytable

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Jan 28 20:50:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:35:00AM -0800, Tom Harris wrote:
> When doing a recent re-install of my MythTV frontend, I ran into some
> confusion because the IR remote handling had changed in the Mythbuntu 12.04
> I was using.  The lirc configuration wasn't working for my Antec Veris
> remote, and it took a while to figure out why.   What I found is that it
> was using the new imon kernel module, rather than imon_lirc.   So, rather
> than editing lirc config, I needed to edit the keytable mappings.
>
> Based on that experience, I have a couple questions:
>
> 1. I ended up editing the /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/imon_mce file to adjust my
> keymappings.   This worked, but is there a better/recommended way to adjust?

I don't know if it's better or not, but I copied
/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/imon_mce to /etc/rc_keymaps/imon_mce.local to
make my changes.  I then edited /etc/rc_maps.cfg to point the
rc-imon-mce entry to my copy.

Note, you still use lirc if you like by using the devinput driver.

> 2. Most of my adjustments were changing system keys to MythTV recognized
> keycodes, for example KEY_PAUSE to KEY_P.   If IR-Keytable is the standard
> going forward, can MythTV be configured to understand standard media keys?
>    This seems like a no brainer, and would allow much simpler setup.   Did
> I miss an available setting?

No.  In short, X-windows can't pass some of the keys to MythTV.  See
the list archives for more details.

--
David Engel
david at istwok.net