[mythtv-users] Recommendation for SSD boot drive

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 02:51:44 UTC 2013

Matthias <lists at thyroff.net> wrote on Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 05:35:11PM +0100:
> Am 23.01.2013 10:23, schrieb Matthias:
> >>
> >>Have you tried getting suspend to work? It typically only runs
> >>at a few watts (few $/yr electrical costs), and would mean
> >>"boot" times on the order of several seconds. I used to do it on
> >>one of my dedicated frontends, but I've been having difficulty
> >>getting wake-on-usb working on the new motherboard since
> >>upgrading it.
> >>
> >I use a USB3 stick on a frontend... 8GB is big enough for a
> >mythbuntu install. I have not measured it, but it's fast enough
> >for my requirements, and it was the cheapest solid state solution
> >I could find.
> >
> >I was worried about booting from USB3, so instead of trying, I
> >also put a USB2 stick for /boot on that frontend, no harddisk.
> >
> Now I have measured. From the moment the BIOS screen disappears, it
> takes 29.5s until the myth menu is shown. This includes some time
> (1-2s) where there is an error message regarding a file system that
> is not found - I think, USB3 still has to be initialized.
>
> As I said, /boot on a USB2 stick, / on USB3.

If fast boot is your primary concern, then I second Raymond's
suggestion of trying to get suspend/resume to work. I have an SSD in
one of my frontends, but I still suspend/resume instead of turning off
and on. From the moment I press the power button on my remote, the
system wakes from S3 and displays the menu in about 3 seconds (and not
the home menu, but the menu I was on when I suspended). After powering
on by pressing the power button on the case, it takes about 20-25
seconds to display the home menu.

As Raymond also indicated, the catch is being able to get
suspend/resume working. Of the three frontends I've used, I got the
first one working with a few hours of research and trial and error, I
got the second one working with a little more effort than the first,
and I haven't gotten the third one working yet (an upgrade of the
first one, whose motherboard died).