[mythtv-users] Need advice re: expand/replacement storage

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Jan 24 20:07:29 UTC 2013

> I am looking to expand my recording storage space.  I seem to recall some
> past threads on the list talking about issues with drives whose capacity is
> something greater than 1TB, but I don't remember what the threshold was nor
> what the issue(s) might be.

No problems with a 3TB drive here using ext4.

> FWIW, my mobo is an ASUS A8N-SLI which supports SATA-I/II, and I'm still
> running Ubuntu 10.04/MythTV 0.23.
>
> I'm also concerned with the possibility that I might have issues with
> SATA-III (6Gb/s) drives working on this system.  Are they backward
> compatible with SATA-II?

Yep, shouldn't have any issues using a SATA-III device.

> I am considering adding a 2TB WD disk to my system (WD2002FAEX).
>
> What, if any, problems might I run into?

If you have a port free, I can't imagine any problems. Just install it,
mount it somewhere, create a "recordings" directory on it, then add the
path to that directory to your recordings storage group.

It's important that you create a directory on the drive and use it, not the
mount point, in your storage group.  Failure to do so can cause your system
drive to fill up if the new drive ever fails to mount or goes offline for
any reason.