[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode issues in 0.26.0+fixes

Raymond Boettcher raymondboettcher at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 17:24:08 UTC 2013

Hey Mike,

Why would mythtranscode come up as "process killed or stopped?"  The reasons I can think that it would stop doesn't exist.  I am using 340mb out of 2000mb of memory on the BE..  The CPU is virtually idle.  Is there a logging facility attached to mythtranscode?  Can I run it from the command line manually on the video file to see the respective log output for the video file in question?

How do I disable metadata lookup?  Why would that process erroring out cause the video to not transcode?  Is the older version of MythTranscode (0.23.1) able to be dropped in as a replacement for the 0.26.0 mythtranscode daemon?  Is there a way to assign a user job to offload transcoding on my own to my own transcoders whether that be ffmpeg or mencoder.  How does MythTV know the extension for said filename has changed from .mpg to .avi?  Will it rescan for the same basename after the userjob is over or do I need to update the row in the Recordings Database and perhaps send an API Call to mythbackend to "refresh data".

This problem is really bothering me because some of the FE's are not powerful enough to play 1080p directly.  The one that I thought was powerful enough and even running a Geforce 8500 PCI-e with NVPAU on a "Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2160  @ 1.80GHz" for some reason still tops out the processor during playback???  It plays it but there is an apparent jerkiness to the video which is strange for a process that should be completely offloaded to the GPU since its ATSC MPEG2 from ION TV??  Not to mention the amount of disk space it consumes.  Some of the recordings are like 12GB for an hour of video.  Granted I have 1TB assigned for the Recordings Drive and 2TB assigned for MythVideo and MythMusic.

The Video file does play normally without any artifacts or problems with the video reception from the OTA Antenna.  I can watch it on the FE mentioned above.  It plays *almost* smoothly and the audio doesn't chop out unless I bring up the guide, info box or change the volume causing an overlay to appear.

Raymond Boettcher

P.S. I was able to clear up playback of the video by overclocking the Duel Core Processor from 1.8Ghz to 2.53Ghz.  Now the base CPU Load is 60% instead of 100% during playback.  Still doesn't make sense while using VDPAU Playback.