[mythtv-users] Help debugging a consistent backend crash

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Thu Jan 24 14:21:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. <
gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I tried to follow the debugging guide in the wiki with no luck. I am
> > still having a consistent master backend crash with a segmentation
> > fault but I have no idea how to find out what is causing it.
> > I am running fedora 18 and a recent trunk build and I assume others
> > are not having the issue or there would be more noise on the mailing
> > list. Any help would be appreciated.
> > Setup:
> > One original hdhomerun
> > One hdhr3
> > Two hdpvrs
> > Two fedora backend / frontend combo boxes
>

>         Does it fail only if the slave backend is up?  I'm not sure why
> it's not happening to others but I get segfaults like the one reported
> here:
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11318
>
> I believe it's caused by a problem I reported a bit earlier:
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11316
>
> The patch I posted there fixes it for me.  The other reporter thinks
> there is a problem with the patch, although I'm not seeing it myself

I have a similar setup as the OP (1 master, 1 slave, 2 HDHR2's, 1 HD-PVR
and 1 PVR-USB on FC16, latest trunk), and I too was seeing crashes, but
only when the slave was running. Leaving the slave out my backend would run
for days without issue, as soon as the slave was running, crashes, crashes
everywhere. With the patch from 11316, I have not had any issues with the
backend crashing.

Tom