[mythtv-users] Recommendation for a Cheap Frontend.

Fa fayoeu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 00:36:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Matthew Daubenspeck <matt at oddprocess.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 02:52:23PM -0500, Adrian Romano wrote:
> >    I am currently running a raspberry pi frontend (running openELEC) with
> >    a mythtv backend. I watch live TV and recorded programs and it works
> >    fine. The menu transitions are a little slow on the pi, but the
> >    playback of the recordings and live TV are smooth.
> >    I initially had some networking issues, but once I resolved those,
> >    everything worked well.
>
> How are you accessing Myth with openelec? uPNP, plugin, etc?

After messing around with the raspberry pi for a few weeks, my
recommendation is not to use it for a mythtv frontend via xbmc pvr mythtv
client plugin or any UPNP client.  It just isn't stable enough.  The CPU is
barely powerful enough to run xbmc's UI menus, mine is overclocked and
xbian will overclock by default in their distro.  if you are unlucky enough
to have the lower memory model, chances are you will run out of memory when
enabling some of xbmc's plugins like the xbmc pvr mythtv client.  While
watching a stream, the raspberry pi also doesn't respond quickly to
pause/ffwrd/stop/etc. Expect lots of stuttering in the stream, audio sync
issues.  Also, i have the codec license for mpeg2, stream will still
stutter. Maybe in a few months, I'll try it again.