[mythtv-users] restricting mythpreviewgen?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 22 21:11:48 UTC 2013

On 1/22/2013 15:08, Alex Williamson wrote:
> It is.  Have you tried to build a 25W idle Core system?  I built my
> desktop on an i3 2120T (35W - they get really pricey if you want
> lower), small SSD, bunch of RAM, onboard graphics, 1 extra NIC,
> 80-plus P/S.  It runs something like 40W idle, and it cost several
> hundred in parts.

Something doesn't seem right there. I've got a frontend running on a
Pentium G2120 (Ivy Bridge, 3.1GHz, 55W), which is just a standard chip,
not a specially binned low power unit. 4GB of memory, onboard graphics,
no disk or spare NIC but those should only run a couple watts each, and
I idle at 25W measured at the wall. Total cost was only around $250.
That's on a non-80Plus power supply for which the lowest measured
efficiency I was able to find had it rapidly dropping below 65% at 45W
system consumption (70W at wall).  Rough guess says those components are
running maybe 10W idle, with the rest being eaten up by the power supply.