[mythtv-users] Recommendation for a Cheap Frontend.

Adrian Romano romanoad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:52:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Ian Barton <lists at wilkesley.net> wrote:

> I am on the lookout for a box to use as a frontend that is cheap and
> small. I want something for the kitchen, so stuff like HD playback isn't
> important.
>
> I already have 2 Acer Revos. I would have bought another, but the basic
> model seems to have disappeared and whereas I paid around 150GBP for mine
> they now seem >200 GBP and over specced for what I want.
>
> I had considered a Raspberry PI, but having read several reports of trying
> to get Myth running on one, it doesn't seem quite up to the job. I know
> it's heresy (stake, firewood and matches already ordered), but the person
> watching the box in the kitchen will want to watch live TV. So solutions
> that involve a box running something that just does playback of stored
> video won't work here.
>
> Ian.

I am currently running a raspberry pi frontend (running openELEC) with a
mythtv backend. I watch live TV and recorded programs and it works fine.
The menu transitions are a little slow on the pi, but the playback of the
recordings and live TV are smooth.

I initially had some networking issues, but once I resolved those,
everything worked well.

-Adrian