[mythtv-users] Strange seeking following database crash

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 10:42:38 UTC 2013

In article <50FD8D59.8000205 at thirdcontact.com>, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Yes.  Just run mythcommflag --rebuild on each affected recording--or, if
> you prefer, on every single recording (and then wait a few days for
> things to go back to normal).

OK, done, and it only took a few hours.

I am however unsure as to why this data is needed. I don't do commercial skipping,
and the seek data isn't required for video played from my SMB share, so why does
mythtv need it for recordings? And what happens when you do chase play, so watching
something that's still recording?

> Then, the 2nd thing you need to do is:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore (specifically the
> part at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Automating_Database_Backups
> ).  :)

That's how I spotted the corruption.

A regular backup ran, created a 3.5GB backup of my database rather than the usual
23MB one, filled the disk, and also caused some mayhem due to my database backup
being in a dropbox directory that's synced to other machines.

After the repair, the database backup dropped to 15MB and I did consider restoring an
old database. However, we'd made several recordings since the backup, and I wasn't
sure how to get these back into the database, so I got my wife to spend half an hour
checking everything looked OK and we went ahead without the restore.

To be fair, it's all been fine for a couple of weeks and it's only the seeking
problem that's suggested a restore might have been better.