[mythtv-users] Recent DVD problems with video and audio drops

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 23:16:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Richard <peper03 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I got a copy of Inception from my friend, but as I expected, I've not seen
> the same issues.

That would make sense based on James' comment of the 3:2 pull down not
being needed on a PAL system.

> I don't know how much the answers will help but I've still got a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1. Does the DVD play ok with other software players (e.g. VLC)?

My brief test has show it playing fine in VLC.  I'll give VLC a longer
test tonight.

> 2. Do the playback issues always occur at the same place, or not at the same
> place but after X seconds of playback?  Or is the position random?

The position seems to be random but it does happen frequently.

> 3. Has this issue only surfaced recently?  Did the affected DVDs play
> without problems previously?  If only recently, any idea how recently? Is it
> possible you've changed any hardware or audio/playback settings?

This does seem to be a recent occurrence however I could not say when
it started.  If I find myself with some free time I may pull the
original 0.26 release and see if that makes a difference.  We've
watched Inception before without issues (but it's been a while).

The .mkv made from the disk has no issues at all.

I've not made any hardware changes.  I have updated nvidia drivers but
I've also tried rolling them back to older versions with no
improvements.