[mythtv-users] Channel Groups and custom recording rules

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 21 18:44:53 UTC 2013

On 01/20/2013 11:33 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> A couple of months ago (or more), KTVT switched frequencies here.  It
> made me mad, so I went and changed all of my rules to anytime/channel.
>
> Well, I am trying to create a custom rule to allow me to only record
> the shows on certain channels (in channel groups) and narrow it down
> that way.  It seems the custom recordin rule only allows access to the
> program and channel tables though:
>
> Error preparing query: SELECT NULL FROM (program,channel)
> program.chanid = (SELECT channelgroups.chanid where channelgroups.id =
> '2') WHERE
> program.title = 'Saturday Night Live'
>
> So, before I go hacking around - is there a better way for me to do
> this.  I do not want "first runs only", and I do not want to record
> the VH1 versions of SNL either..
>
> Ideally I will add it to the UI so I can select the channel group when
> I create the recording, etc etc.
>
> Other people doing this successfully in other ways?

Use mythfrontend--not MythWeb--to create your Custom/Power Recording
Rules.  When in the mythfrontend Custom/Power Recording Rule editor,
you'll see an "example clause" button that starts out with, "Match an
exact title."  If you press this button, it adds the clause to the
rule.  If you use LEFT/RIGHT, you can scroll through other
examples--including, "Only channels from the Favorites group."  Once you
see that, SELECT the button, and then edit the SQL in the text area
where you create the rule to contain the desired Channel Group name.

Note that there are a /lot/ of very interesting example clauses shown in
the editor, so you should always start there when creating new
Custom/Power Recording Rules.

Mike