[mythtv-users] Problem upgrading from 0.25fixes to 0.26

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 21 18:37:18 UTC 2013

On 01/20/2013 10:57 AM, Peter Foulkes wrote:

> Fixed it!
>
> For the benefit of anyone else who has the same problem, here is how I
> fixed it:
> I used netstat -lp | grep 6948 (the port number that was being
> reported as already used), to discover what was using that port.
> Mythfrontend was automatically reloading and using the port so I
> stopped mythfrontend from loading and then ran mythbackend-setup.
>
> Problem solved. The schema upgrades and it all works.

So, as I read it, you spent 3 to 4 days trying to figure out something
that could have "fixed itself" with a reboot?

GNU/Linux doesn't /have/ to be rebooted for most changes--as long as
you're willing to spend the time figuring out what's wrong, then
learning how to fix it--but sometimes 30s to reboot is the easiest way
to fix things.

Granted, I wasn't around enough on those 4 days to see your message and
suggest a reboot (which I always do when someone says, "I just upgraded
and am getting a database schema version error"), so perhaps it wasn't
because of some desire to not reboot/maintain some uptime number/prove
that you don't have to reboot GNU/Linux systems, but was just because
you hadn't considered that it would be worth trying.  Meaning I'm not
trying to scold you, personally, but trying to convince the list (and
people on IRC) to be more accepting of the idea of rebooting and letting
the system scripts ensure things are properly stopped and started, so
that everything works.  (It's really sad how often someone mentions a
problem on IRC and someone suggests a reboot as the quickest way to make
it work, then someone says, "It's not Windows," or similar and convinces
the user to spend literally hours trying to figure out the problem--and
finally, after spending too much time on the problem without success,
reboots and everything works fine.)

"Microsoft's greatest trick was convincing the world to reboot first."

(And, FWIW, Android is running a Linux kernel and I have to reboot my
Android phone all the time--often every day, but at least once every
other day--and my provider actually has messages pop up if you don't
reboot your phone once per week.)

Mike (who believes that uptime is meaningless, except when trying to
figure out if your server went down when it wasn't supposed to)