[mythtv-users] OT: HDHomeRun DLNA beta firmware is out

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 21:28:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Patrick Ouellette <pat at flying-gecko.net>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 07:42:55AM +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:
> >
> > Good on ya Mike, right with you here. What is this obsession from
> everyone
> > to replace mythfrontend? Its far and away the best client out there.
>
> I don't speak for everyone, but one reason is already having devices
> capable
> of playing back content that the Myth frontend doesn't run on (blu-ray
> players,
> smart TVs, etc).  If you don't *have* to have another box in the mix to run
> the frontend, it simplifies life.
>
> Another not to be overlooked reason is cost.  A blu-ray player with DLNA
> support can be had for under $100 in the US.  I don't know of anyone who
> has a Myth frontend capable machine that you can put together for under
> that price.  If you are only building one frontend a more expensive
> solution
> is ok, but when you need 5 frontends the costs start adding up quickly.
>
> Pat

We're starting to get philosophical here, but I personally want access to
my media first, and all the secondary bits like seeking, commercial
skipping etc., second. Making the Myth back end's content as available as
possible is more important to me than anything else... But that's just my
opinion as an end user.