[mythtv-users] OT: HDHomeRun DLNA beta firmware is out

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Fri Jan 18 21:21:50 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 07:42:55AM +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:

> Good on ya Mike, right with you here. What is this obsession from everyone
> to replace mythfrontend? Its far and away the best client out there.

I don't speak for everyone, but one reason is already having devices capable
of playing back content that the Myth frontend doesn't run on (blu-ray players,
smart TVs, etc).  If you don't *have* to have another box in the mix to run
the frontend, it simplifies life.

Another not to be overlooked reason is cost.  A blu-ray player with DLNA
support can be had for under $100 in the US.  I don't know of anyone who
has a Myth frontend capable machine that you can put together for under
that price.  If you are only building one frontend a more expensive solution
is ok, but when you need 5 frontends the costs start adding up quickly.

Pat