[mythtv-users] Tips on getting FE working completely

Chuck Olson chuckol at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 17:15:11 UTC 2013

cable, satellite, etc.) and I'm in Illinois.

> Assuming you're using an ATSC card or similar in your backend, your source
> is HD for the main network channels.  Certain subchannels will be SD only.
> (Where in Illinois are you, I'm in Rockford if you're close by and need
> a hand).

(snipped)

> The frontend graphics card is too weedy/old to convert the HD signal to SD on
> the fly,  which is why you're seeing stuttering on network channels.  Even
> syndicated stuff will be upconverted to 720p or 1080i before being broadcast so
> will stutter.  The subchannels may well be 480i which should play OK.
>
> I think you have three potential solutions:
>
> 1. Get a PCI Nvidia 8400 or above graphics card and run VDPAU and the latest
> hardware drivers.  This will push the transcoding to the card from the processor
> and should work OK. (I use it for a frontend I have on my slingbox).
> 2. Transcode all recordings when completed to SD (preferably 480i) and never
> watch livetv.
> 3. Use a set top box and a PVR150 or other IVTV card with a channel changer.
> This will convert digital to analog and could be used as we used to use a cable
> box.  The input into your backend will then be SD.
>
> Personally, I went with option 1 for 2 of my remote backends.  One I left in
> 720p on a small flatscreen, the other I got Xorg to display at 800x600 and used
> a VGA to SVideo adapter to watch on my Tv's in the basement and the slingbox
> (then on my phone).

Rob,

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware that subchannels might broadcast differently. Indeed it is subchannels that seem to
work and are probably 480i.

Since I occasionally watch sports live, I'll probably go with your option 1 as well. I was hoping to get away with a
frontend for free with spare parts lying around - guess that's not possible! Option 1 also lets me keep the option of
going HD for future frontends, which is appealing.

Chuck