[mythtv-users] Transcoding of imported files?

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:27:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Frank Feuerbacher <fbacher at brisbin.net>wrote:

> We want to transcode all of our TCM movies to h.264 using Handbrake. I
> found a script for doing that which I will alter for our needs (I'm not
> afraid of scripts, but I'm no Perl expert).
>
> All of the documentation that I have found so far talk about transcoding
> recorded files. But I have a bunch of .ts files (with mpeg-2 1080i content)
> that I want to run through Handbrake.

Is there a way to tell MTV to do this for me

You probably can, and someone else will need to respond with how, but in my
(limited) experience the below seems more straight forward.

> , or do I need to use handbrake externally before I import the movies into
> MythTV?

The way I see this is that you are moving the files from something or
somewhere into a mythTV video library folder.  Since they are going to be
imported into the database by scanning, I don't know why you wouldn't do
everything with an external script before even getting mythTV to scan for
new files.

But, if you don't like my answer someone else will tell you a different one
in a few minutes.

Jeremy