[mythtv-users] Rebuilding a FE/BE system (the stupid way)

Science Technician SCITECH at combebank.kent.sch.uk
Wed Jan 16 15:30:29 UTC 2013

Technician wrote:

> > This means that now I want to switch from MythDora to MythBuntu (I
> can
> > explain why I want to make the change but don't want to clutter this
> positing
> > even more) the response I am getting is "Well why don't we just get
> AppleTV
> > or Sky".
> >
> > I can do the switch myself but I am unable to release any recourses
> eg. a
> > spare machine or even a spare hard drive as Admin are unwilling to
> spend any
> > money on it.
> >
> Heh, heh, heh. If you explain to your admin just how much money either
> Apple or Sky will suck out of your school in never-ending fees I'm sure
> he/she'll instantly understand why your predecessor decided to try
> another way.

 I wish that were the case but unfortunately it does seem to be the case
that they are more than happy to throw money at the main stream people like
Apple or Sky but the really neat solutions like MythTV that really do
what you want in such a powerful way but require some learning of the
systems aren't worth the effort. Even though it will save us 1000s of pounds.

> Believe me, those access fees aren't cheap. Ask any pub showing
> football games.

 I don't doubt it the IT Admin said how much their _personal_ TV only subs
for SKY were a month and I am not even sure I have that much disposable
income since our son was born last year. :-)

Cheers,

John.

--

John Mason - Science Technician

Registered Charity No. 1007871  Company Registered No. 1067557

***This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager and delete it.  Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Combe Bank School.  Finally the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  Combe Bank School accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.  This email has been scanned for viruses by Sophos PureMessage.***