[mythtv-users] window resize problem with OpenGL and Intel HD Graphics

Oliver Mangold ybyt4t at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 09:00:54 UTC 2013

I have the problem that on my system using the feature to have different
screen resolutions for GUI and video playback does not work as expected.

I set the GUI resolution to 1920x1080 and the playback resolution to
720x576. What happens is that the screen resolution of the X11 display
(and the HDMI output) is switched to 720x576 when watching video, but
the video image is shifted downwards, so I only see a thin bar of the
top portion of the video stream on the bottom of my screen.

Checking with xprop, apparently what happens is, that the X11 window of
mythtv is not resized to 720x576 but is stuck to 1920x1080 and within
this window the video is shown with a size of 720x576 at the bottom left
corner of the window. This happens only when OpenGL is enabled and only
with Intel HD Graphics. I checked it on two computers, both Core i3, one
a Sandy Bridge with HD Graphics, one an Ivy Bridge with HD Graphics 2500
and the problem is the same on both of them.

I do not want to disable OpenGL as otherwise I do not get vsynced video
which results in (somewhat annoying) stuttering playback. Also using
1920x1080 for all video playback is suboptimal as the image
preprocessing done by my TV (frame rate doubling, deinterlacing, ...)
apparently works best when it is fed video streams in native resolution.

Anyone an idea what I could try to fix that?

Im running MythTV 0.26.0 on Arch Linux x86_64, kernel 3.6.11. For the
case it helps, some system details can be found in the attached files.

--
Oliver