[mythtv-users] Question about logrotate

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 13 23:54:27 UTC 2013

On 01/06/2013 02:56 PM, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> I’m using mythtv 0.26.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logrotate_-_all_applications shows
> logrotate configurations for „This configuration will work with MythTV
> logging for all MythTV applications using either the --logpath or
> --syslog argument.”
>
> I am wondering why I need the part „killall -HUP mythlogserver” if I
> use --syslog? If something needs a HUP signal it would be the syslog
> server. So is this really necessary?
>
> Shade and sweet water!

If you're using syslog, you don't need to HUP mythlogserver. We only
show the one configuration since HUP'ing mythlogserver shouldn't cause
any issues, and it's easier than having multiple configurations to
maintain/explaining to users how to know which one to use/...

Also, depending on your syslog configuration, you may need to HUP or
restart or reload your syslog server, but we kind of ignored that hoping
that the "other" logrotate configuration would do that for you. Telling
the syslog server to re-create files in a generic way is much more
challenging since different people use different syslog programs and
such (so we can't just killall -HUP (not knowing whether to send the
signal to rsyslogd or syslog-ng or ..., and some systems prefer other
approaches, so...).

If you'd like to, feel free to do some testing and add some comments to
try to explain this on the wiki page. You may not give up as easily as I
did, so you may come up with something that's both useful to the user
and easy to understand.

Mike