[mythtv-users] WOL SBE

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sun Jan 13 23:14:09 UTC 2013

On 14/01/2013 3:24 AM, William Jacoby wrote:
> I have two machines. The first is a FE/MBE. The second one is FE/SBE.
> I'd like to set the MBE to use "wakeonlan mac-addrs" to wake up the
> SBE when needed and also shut it down when not needed. I have the SBE
> Bios set for WOL. I can manually wake it from the MBE, just not sure
> how to setup mythtv to do it. After searching all I find are
> post/articles/wiki entries that pretty much show how to use either
> "/ACPI WakeUp" /which isn't what I want or how to wake up the MBE.

On the Slave backend, run mythtv-setup,   Navigate to  General ->
Backend Wakeup Settings
At the bottom of this page are the two options to shutdown and wakeup
the slave backend (these are set per SBE, so you need to do this on each
slave backend, if you have more than one)

- The sleep command for a SBE only can be simply "sudo shutdown -h now"
(without the quotes) [This command is run on the slave backend]
- The Wake Command can be simply "wakeonlan
<macaddress>"                     [This command is run on the master
backend]

The FE and BE run as seperate process's on your SBE (and dont talk to
each other), so the MBE will tell the SBE to shutdown within in couple
of minutes of startup if it is not required for recording, so your
shutdown command needs to be a script that checks whether the FE is in
use, and block the shutdown until the frontend is idle.
The MBE will only try and shutdown the SBE *ONCE* (unless you restart
mythtv-backend on the slave or restart the slave)

Regards,
Michael Watson