[mythtv-users] Is there a way of programming recordings depending on which language(s) the audio is available in?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sun Jan 13 21:16:31 UTC 2013

On 13.01.2013 16:58, Per Jessen wrote:
> We've got e.g. "The Big Bang Theory" available in the original English
> (E4) as well as dubbed in German (Pro7).  No doubt it is also available
> in both English and German on the Swiss SFn channels, nor would I be
> very surprised to find Italian and Spanish versions somewhere.  Is the
> audio-stream language available anywhere such that I can use it as a
> criteria when selecting what to record?

not yet.
The only usage of EIT/XMLTV data related to language is when choosing
which title/subtitle/description to use when multiple are present.

Can you verify (with dvbsnoop) that the proper audio track language is
signaled in the EIT data? Look out for component descriptors for audio,
the second and third example at
http://dvbsnoop.sourceforge.net/examples/example-eit.html
are how it would look like.

The data is available more or less detailed with lots of variants from
the stations. I'm not sure that all stations have it collected in
machine readable format for their EIT generation. (as opposed to human
readable free form text describing the languages)

For now you'll have to go with a power rule that limits the matching to
the channels that transmit your preferred language.

Regards,
Karl

PS: I'd like to see audio language metadata for videos/recordings, that
would align well to having the same data available in the guide.