[mythtv-users] Is there a way of programming recordings depending on which language(s) the audio is available in?

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Sun Jan 13 18:47:18 UTC 2013

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 01/13/2013 10:58 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
>> We've got e.g. "The Big Bang Theory" available in the original
>> English (E4) as well as dubbed in German (Pro7).  No doubt it is also
>> available in both English and German on the Swiss SFn channels, nor
>> would I be> very surprised to find Italian and Spanish versions
>> somewhere.  Is the audio-stream language available anywhere such that
>> I can use it as a criteria when selecting what to record?
>
> If your listings provide any indication (and, TTBOMK, it would have to
> be something in the description, since we don't really have any other
> place for it), you could try to use that with a custom/power recording
> rule.

Thanks for your reply, Mike,

there must be something somewhere - dual-language programming is usually
indicated in the listings in the newspapers, for instance.  Otherwise I
don't know how I could tell from the description - other than some sort
of natural language recognition :-)

> If not, your best bet is probably a "this channel" rule for the
> one that shows the right language version. Unfortunately, I can't
> think of anything more elegant.  :(

It really just seems there ought to be a language indicator for the
audio-streams, certainly for anything in dual-language.  arte channels
(french+german) for instance, all of the six Swiss channels
(italian/french/german+original), infrequently on ARD and ZDF, maybe
also on ORFx). Even BBC[34] when they're showing foreign movies with
subtitles.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.1°C)