[mythtv-users] VLC as uPnP client with MythTV

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Jan 13 18:24:43 UTC 2013

Hi:  I've searched for info about this in the past but hadn't found much
that seemed hopeful.  Then I saw this post that mentioned it as if it
Just Worked, and it seemed worth another look, if only as a possible
diagnostic tool for a TV link.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/536945#536945

On my F16 Myth 0.25.3 FE/BE box the sequence

VLC > View > Playlist > Local Network > Universal Plug'n'Play

will (sometimes) bring up a window showing

hostname:MythTV AV Media Server

with Recordings, Music and Videos. Recordings can be sorted in various
ways and will play, but at present I see no Music or Videos.

My Panasonic TV will play raw MPEG2-TS recordings, but just says 'Please
Wait' after I have transcoded them to MPEG2-PS.  It will play them as
Videos, but doesn't offer sorting.

If I try the same from my SL6 box with Myth 0.26-fixes as 127.0.0.1,
only the  F16 server name is displayed and there's a lot of router and
SL6 CPU activity for several minutes before VLC eventually quits.  I
don't know if any diagnostics are produced.

In the VLC Media Info window the location on both boxes is vlc://nop

At present it looks promising but not entirely reliable.  I don't know
how much of this is general knowledge.  It was news to me.

John P