[mythtv-users] Recording multi-part shows

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 11 18:38:54 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 01:15 PM, Martin Moores wrote:
> On 11 Jan 2013 17:39, "Jan Ceuleers" wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> On a few occasions I've had the problem whereby part 1 of an exciting
>> 2-part show is recorded, but part 2 isn't. Frustrating.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to avoid this situation (other than buying more tuners)?
>>
>> One particular mitigation I had in mind seems not to work: I just tried
>> using mythweb to increase the recording priority of a miscellaneous part
>> 2, and that was ignored. So the base recording priority was 0, I upped
>> it by 5 but it went back to 0 after I saved. Strange.
>>
>> Although perhaps this field is a property of the recording rule rather
>> than of the particular showing. And there is no mechanism for storing
>> per-showing overrides. So I'd have to use "record this particular
>> showing" I suppose.
> When to say two part, do you mean a show separated by the news for example?
>
> In the UK, films are sometimes shown in two parts, either side of the news
> for example, the film often has the same title, subtitle and description,
> so myth ignores the second part as a duplicate of the first. This is
> nothing to do with priorities or not having enough tuners, simply a data
> issue.
>
> An override on the second showing to get it to record would solve this.
>
> Sorry if I have mis understood your issue. A bit more info would help if so

Exactly.  Your options for these shows are:

a) Work around the bad data by including End Late in the recording
rule(s) for the shows that do this (especially if it always happens or
you can determine when it will/will not happen so you can have separate
rules for the 2 cases).
b) Work around the bad data by disabling duplicate matching in the
recording rule(s) for the shows that do this.
c) Fix the bad data.  Include an EIT fixup or some kind of XMLTV
pre-processing that munges the program information appropriately so that
MythTV will know the episodes are different.
d) Manually work around the bad data by creating recording rule
overrides to record the 2nd half of the program even though MythTV
already thinks it recorded it.  This would be a lot of work and error
prone, so is the least desirable approach.

The easiest approach is the End Late--and worst case scenario, you may
end up recording some garbage you don't need.  However, it may result in
more conflicts (and, therefore, require more tuners and/or more manual
conflict resolution), depending on how your shows line up.

Mike