[mythtv-users] Everyone is short and fat - unwanted letterboxing during SD playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 11 14:59:43 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 05:26 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> My SD playback is being vertically scaled. It happens always for
> recording playback and sometimes for live tv.
>
> Frontend setup
>
> recent 0.26-fixes
>
> UI: 720p
> Video playback: allowed to choose 1080p, 720p or 576i
>
> Playback profile
>     for height = 576 - ffmpeg and xv-blit
>     any other height - vdpau
>

> If I use vdpau throughout then then I don't see the problem, but I
> have good reson for wanting to use xv-blit for SD (which I could
> explain if anyone is interested - probably not :-) ).
>
> I'd like to see if I can fix this, but I'm not sure where to look.
> I wondered if, because of timing issues, the vertical scaling was
> being based on the UI resolution, but then why not the horizontal
> scaling too?!
>
> I could stick a bug in track but I can't imagine that a problem with
> this unusual usage would be of much interest to anyone else.
>
> Any help much appreciated.

It's almost definitely a misconfiguration of your system and not a
bug--otherwise, other people would have reported issues with aspect
ratio.  Please post the output of the following and provide the host
name/profile ID you're using for the affected frontend.  (You may need
to run the mysql commands--starting with cat and ending with EOF--on the
system with the MySQL server rather than the frontend, or include a
-h<hostname> in the command.)

xdpyinfo 2>&1 | tee ~/settings.txt &&
cat<< "EOF" | mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg 2>&1 | tee -a ~/settings.txt
SELECT * FROM settings WHERE value IN ('AspectOverride', 'Zoom',
'GuiWidth', 'GuiHeight', 'GuiSizeForTV', 'UseVideoModes',
'GuiVidModeResolution', 'XineramaScreen', 'XineramaMonitorAspectRatio');
SELECT * FROM settings WHERE value LIKE 'TVVidModeResolution%';
SELECT * FROM settings WHERE value LIKE 'TVVidModeForceAspect%';
SELECT * FROM settings WHERE value LIKE 'VidMode%';
EOF

Mike