[mythtv-users] howto clean up old frontend configurations ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 11 14:52:09 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 04:19 AM, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After some serious bug hunting, my mythtv database has become
> cluttered with a lot of profiles for frontends that i no longer use.
>
> Does anybody have a couple of hints what tables need to be cleaned up ?
>
> I already know these 2 usefull sql statements :
>

> DELETE FROM settings WHERE hostname='identifier';
> DELETE FROM profilegroups WHERE hostname='identifier';
>
> Do I need more or is there an even more convenient way to get rid of
> obsolote frontend profiles ?

Not yet.  At the moment, there's no supported way to remove old frontend
configurations.  Since they take up virtually no space (around 8-16kB of
HDD storage per frontend config--likely toward the lower end) and do not
affect MySQL performance and are never actually shown in the UI or
otherwise offered to the user and won't cause any confusion, the
recommendation is to just leave them in place.

If you want to reuse a host name, but want to reset the settings for the
host, you may do a host-name change:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

i.e. you could change the host name from "hostnameiwanttoreuse" to
"garbage" or "old" or ...

Eventually we'll have a means to allow users to manage MythTV profiles.
Until then, I highly recommend just leaving the (very-interconnected)
data for the old hosts that's spread across the database.

Mike