[mythtv-users] Can I use a Ceton InfiniTV device on a Windows 7 box?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Jan 8 18:04:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 09:54:28PM -0500, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Frank Feuerbacher <fbacher at brisbin.net> wrote:
>> > I think you are implying that even if I assign a static IP to the Ceton,
>> > that MytTV may be cranky about not having the card up and ready when the
>> > back-end starts.
>>
>> I personally have never experienced a problem with this.
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Frank Feuerbacher <fbacher at brisbin.net> wrote:
>> > I expected that, but thanks for confirming. Currently I only have one tuner
>> > enabled (my wife is cheap, each one costs $2.50/month from the cable co.).
>>
>> Wait....do you mean your cable company charges you not per-cablecard,
>> but per tuner you want to use from a single cablecard? Please tell us
>> what cable company does such crap. I've never heard of such a thing.
>> I'm not even sure that would be in compliance with the FCC's latest
>> cablecard rules. Utter crap. I'd actually try to look into that with
>> the FCC, and file a complaint with the FCC if they are violating the
>> new rules.
>
> I almost inquired about that too.  Now that I think about it, there's
> no way they could enforce it since the cable cards don't communicate
> back to the cable company.  As long as you get an M-card, all tuners
> should work.
>
> Oops, as I was writing that, something occurred to me.  If the cable
> company employs SDV, there is an indirect, upstream communication path
> through the tuning adapter.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david at istwok.net

Funny that you mention there's no way to enforce it. I was almost
ready to click post with that same statement in my email. Then it
OCURed (haha) to me that they could be loading the cablecards with
custom firmware that limits the number of tuners enabled. Since the
communication process is one way, I'm not sure how they would do that.
They could do it before they physically give you the card. That would
have the negative side effect of them not being able to easily
provision you for more tuners (though I guess they could then
"justify" tacking on a service fee for the upgrade, huh). Another way
(depending on how cablecards are designed to load firmware, this may
not be possible) is that they could just be pushing out the firmware
over the network and having it signed for that one card only. If any
other cablecards saw the update, it wouldn't be properly signed so
they'd just ignore it.

--
Ron Frazier