[mythtv-users] android playback without HLS?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Jan 7 15:37:21 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-07, at 9:37 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> And that's fair enough.  I do understand your goals.  Just throwing out
> some different, unexpected use-cases to be considered.  :-)

If I can jump in with a little proselytizing my MythExpress application does have native playback. Click on the name of a recording or video and a dialog opens up where you can pick "Direct Play" and you're off to the races. I use this on iOS to play back h.264 material, mostly video podcasts, all the time. All it does is create a <video> element with src="myth url" so it depends on your device understanding whatever format the media is in.

One potential hangup is it seems like the device wants to download the entire video rather than requesting parts of it from myth as needed. I'm not sure if that's an iOS quirk or just the way it is or if it's because the myth server doesn't support ranges or something else. On my OTA setup a movie can easily be 15 gigs and that's a lot to move over a wireless connection.

- George