[mythtv-users] Problems with Airplay / Airtunes

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 12:04:10 UTC 2013

On 7 January 2013 06:39, Andréas Kühne <andreas at kuhne.se> wrote:

> This port number then increases up till over 5010, and then the service
> seems to start, however the problem is that my iThings cannot connect to the
> frontend unless the services are running on port 5000 and 5100.

your analysis of the problem is flawed.
It's not that it can only work over port 5000 and 5100. If port
5000-5009 failed but 5010 worked, itunes client would connect
automatically to that port.

There is no restrictions as to which port it can use, just that myth
tries port 5000 and if it fails try a few other ports until it finds
one or tried too many times.

the issue is that it's not listening to any link-local address with is
used by default

> If I restart the mythfrontend program the services start on the correct
> ports. I think my problem is with the IPv6 address not being initialized
> before the service tries to start. I have tried to set the IPv6 manually and
> also disable IPv6 entirely on the machine.

again, your analysis is wrong. IPv6 link-local address would be set
well before myth ever started.
you can't disable IPv6 unfortunately from the myth machine.

AirPlay advertise a service using a hostname (not an IP address)  and
a port number.
What iTunes/iOS will try to use depends entirely on how they are going
to resolve that hostname.

If the hostname is resolved as an IPv6 address (which seems to be the
default with iTunes) then that's what it uses.

> I can't be the only one with this problem? Anyone have any ideas?
You need to solve why listening over the link-local address fails on your host.

The only time I've seen this is on OSX machine with Qt <= 4.8.2. The
bug was fixed in 4.8.3

In any case, if you want anyone to properly trouble shoot the problem,
you need to provide a complete log of mythfrontend started with -v
audio,playback --loglevel debug

Without it, it's just pure theory