[mythtv-users] Video frame buffering failed too many times [0.26-fixes]

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 20:18:30 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 06/01/2013 7:51 AM, "Stephen Robertson" <stephengrobertson at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm getting this error when watching live TV.  I don't think I ever
>> > see this watching recorded or in progress recordings.
>> >
>> > I've searched the archives and found references to this but they seem
>> > to be from some time ago so I'm not sure whether this is a known
>> > problem or whether it was thought to be fixed.
>> >
>> > As far as I can tell it seems to happen a few minutes after the
>> > program has changed (Not the channel, this happens with no user
>> > action).
>> >
>> > This is on a standalone FE connected via gigabit ethernet
>> >
>> > Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.
>> >
>> > Stephen
>> >

>> Is the problem showing on all channels or only SD or only HD? All stations
>> or one specific? Looks like sound decoding error causing the video playback
>> to back off waiting for the sound.
>>
>> > Logs at:
>> > http://pastebin.com/nCzZAdcy
>> > http://pastebin.com/0WbCRLBi
>> >
>> > MythTV Version : v0.26.0-55-g09ac5b2
>> > MythTV Branch : fixes/0.26
>> > Network Protocol : 75
>> > Library API : 0.26.20120822-1
>> > QT Version : 4.8.1
>> > Options compiled in:
>> >  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
>> > using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
>> > using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
>> > using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr
>> > using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto
>> > using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
>> > using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_x11
>> > using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
>> > using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi
>> > using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg using_libass
>> > using_libxml2
>
> CoreContext audio/audiooutputalsa.cpp:242 (IncPreallocBufferSize) ALSA: Try
> to manually increase audio buffer with: echo 128 | sudo tee
> /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc
> Jan  5 10:38:58 revo01 mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1714]: I CoreContext
> mythpainter_ogl.cpp:62 (ClearCache) Clearing OpenGL painter cache.
>
> Yeah have seen this before the sound buffer is set too low. Do as the error
> message say:
>
> $ echo 4096 | sudo tee /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc
>
> with 4096 instead 128 to be on the safe side and see if the error goes away.

Thanks for that.  I really should have noticed that but somehow
didn't.  That it is certainly something I should fix but I'm not
certain if it resolves the problem.

Changing that removes the error you quoted so that is progress.

I'm still getting quite a few of
mythbackend[15653]: W ProcessRequest ringbuffer.cpp:1035
(WaitForReadsAllowed)
RingBuf(/media/disk/Recordings/11210_20130106192151.mpg): Taking too
long to be allowed to read..

Probably about one or two a minute, no obvious effect on the playback
so don't know whether that is an issue or not.

I'm going to try live TV with different channels, SD/HD and different
tuners(I have two DVB-S2 tuners both receiving the same source but
they are different manufacturers).

It may take a while as it appears to sometimes run for quite a bit
before having a problem.

Cheers
Stephen