[mythtv-users] Backend OS - opinions on Archlinux

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 00:11:10 UTC 2013

I am looking at updating my backend, made necessary by the fact that it is
mythbuntu 10.04 (no myth 0.26 packages).

I really hate this 2 yearly cycle of updating ubuntu distros, even on LTS.
I thought maybe a rolling release like Arch would alleviate me from having
to do that.

My backend is used for mythbackend (obviously), squeezeboxserver, plex
server (although that was an experiment and could go), file server for xbmc
(same files as mythvideo), general fileserver, bittorrent (rtorrent) client.

Frontends I generally run mythbuntu, but it is easy to throw away the OS on
an appliance machine and go to the latest, its the backend/server I don't
want to be reinstalling the OS on all the time.

Now I am not wanting to start a distro war here (pleaaasssee) but would
like to know from others using arch about the feasibility and pros/cons of
this move.