[mythtv-users] Channel scan doesn't work

Frank Schlimbach frank.schlimbach at gmx.de
Sat Jan 5 11:31:39 UTC 2013

Am 20.12.2012 18:42, schrieb Jksj:
> On 19/12/12 19:46, schlimbo at gmx.de wrote:
>> Thanks for the tip.
>> I tried kaffeine and the same thing happens: I get "tuning failed"
>> when scanning.
>>
>> I have no idea how to proceed from here. Anyone have an idea what I
>> could try to find the issue? Anyone has a similar HW-config?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> frank
>>
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>> Datum: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:27:46 +0000
>>> Von: Jksj <jksjdevelop at gmail.com>
>>> An: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>> Betreff: Re: [mythtv-users] Channel scan doesn\'t work
>>> brand-new mythbuntu (with mythtv-0.25). It finds my DD cine s2 fine;
>>> I can't see
>>> any issues with dmesg, all looks good. However, neither the scan in
>>> mythtv
>>> not the command-line scans work.
>>> each tuner is attached to a LNB.
>>> lock", signal strength 80%, signal/noise 74% for a while and then quits
>>> scanning without finding anything and reports a timeout.

>>> The easiest way, I have found to get dvb-s going is to test it first
>>> using Kaffeine --kill mythbackend first .Kaffeine seems to have the
>>> simplest satellite setup mechanism and it will at least prove the card,
>>> driver and dish are working before trying to set up Myth.
> High when I was trying to get a tevii dvb-s2 card working I had
> similar symptoms. ie strong signal but tuning failure. In that case
> the fault was due to the firmware for the card failing to load. The
> linux driver still reported that all was well.
> The problem could be in the control back to the lnb.  Have you shown
> that the multiswitch and lnb are working as controlled by the card,
> perhaps by testing the card in windows with the software provided?

Finally made it work. No windows, no TV with DVB-S2 tuner, so it was a
little painful...but you were right, the switch/LNB weren't set up
correctly. Additionally, the tuner card's power/current supply turned
out to be insufficient.

Thanks for the hint, I should have checked more thoroughly right away.