[mythtv-users] an easier way to create "friendly" names for converted files

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Fri Jan 4 04:24:31 UTC 2013

On 1/3/2013 7:51 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:

> major snip...
>
> Sound like Chris has a more permanent solution for you to explore (now
> or maybe later) with mythrokuplayer, but if that does not work for
> your, why not consider transcoding in place to the m4v file and then
> use mythlink to generate the links for the roku box to read?
>
> If this sounds like something you may want to explore then take a look
> at:
>
> This is a python script that pretty much has all you need to do to
> transcode in-place setup in it.  You just need to edit the transcode
> command, and maybe a few others noted with comments.  Once that is in
> place you can call it automatically as a userjob.  One note though,
> any commercial flagging will probably need to be done after running
> the userjob.
>
> I only see a couple of potential reason not to do this. 1) the quality
> you are transcoding to is not acceptable for your mythfrontend
> playback. and 2) you want to permanant store the video and delete it
> from the recordings.
>
> If #2 is your reason, then look at:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py
> and at: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Lossless_Cut
>
> These are intended to export the recording to the video library with
> real human readable names.
>
> Jeremy

So I had a bit of time to work on my script and managed to run into one
"little" thing after another.  I finally got the original script to work
after quoting the variables I was passing (Thanks for that tip!)
although it worked intermittently.  Turns out some recordings were named
prior to the UTC change and some after so I couldn't reliably use either
STARTTIME or STARTTIMEUTC because using one would break the others.  I
did catch that I could just pass a file name %FILE% though which solved
the problem.

My new transcode that I think is going to work reliably passes 3
variables, %FILE% "%TITLE" and "%SUBTITLE" (quoting from memory)  I can
read those in, pass the proper file name to ffmpeg and get a properly
named output file.
I'm going to do a bit more testing and then some basic error checking if
that all works and can then pass it along.   If nothing else so you can
appreciate the brute force method of my ways.  I'm quite certain that
some of the other options are going to be better long term but i was
going to get this to work or else!

Thanks for all the suggestions that I will start to digest once I get
this working and get some time back.  I see a bunch of potential
solutions that allow me to keep mythtv as my backend and access the data
from various places.

I also read in another thread about cable card options for HD that would
eliminate my whole DTA/IR Blaster/PVR-350 mess and give me better
recordings to boot so that may be next on the list once I get a decent
PC that can handle that load.

This list rocks!

Thanks Again.