[mythtv-users] Test environment

Russell Gower mythtv at thegowers.me.uk
Thu Jan 3 19:18:04 UTC 2013

Hi,
  I'm looking to test 0.26 in parallel to my current 0.25 system but i'm not sure how to keep them isolated.

First some background - My current environment consists of two physically identical system one as master and the other a slave backend and a 3rd system running as a diskless frontend (nfs root from the master backend). The backend servers have identical dual tuner dvb-s2 pci-e cards in them and the master backend also has both tuners of a hdhomerun dvb-t assigned to it, all 3 systems are located in the same cupboard.

It's not relevant to the Mythtv functionality but the two backend servers are also KVM hypervisors with DRBD replicated storage for the VM's - I only mention it as it does mean I can't isolate them from each other at the network layer.

In the short term I want to turn the slave backend into a 0.26 master backend, but I'm not sure how best to accomplish this without affecting the 0.25 system (other than reducing the number of available tuners it has available to it), longer term I want to make both of them combined frontend/backend systems with the ability to split them into independent systems for testing new releases but have one of them serve as a slave backend in between times.

So I guess what I'm asking is how do I make sure two independent backends don't tread on each others toes - is it just a case of making sure the frontends config.xml file points at the appropriate backend or is there more to it?

Regards
  Russell