[mythtv-users] Random Audio Noise BLAST from Poor Local CW Network Recordings

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 12:48:43 UTC 2013

On 3 Jan 2013, at 08:24, boehm100 at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for suggestions for how to filter, correct, or protect my equipment and my ears against the damaged audio stream in recordings from my local CW affiliate.   I just upgraded from .24 to .26 and installed a new GT430.  One of these changes compounded a problem with recordings from my local CW affiliate.  Recordings from this QAM HDHR Comcast Cable Channel have the occasional pops or noise blip. I'm thinking the audio stream gets a localized corruption or looses a clock signal.  This happened with with .24 and my old GT240 but they were shorter and less scary.  Now it feels like they are going to blow out the house.  I thought they destroyed my speakers last night. These are short blasts with correct audio before and correct audio after.
>
> Anybody else have this problem?  How did you fix it?  I'm using alsa:hdmi:CARD=NVidia;Dev=1 for my audio device to my Onkyo AV Receiver.

I used to have a similar problem with a GT220, GT430 and now GT640, it's common with Onkyo, if you google Onkyo & PS3 click and pop you will see it's common. There was a firmware update for my amp to reduce it but I upgraded to a Yamaha, solved the problem that way.

If I remember correctly running without ac3 bitstream greatly reduced the problem, let mythtv decode the ac3.

Andre