[mythtv-users] Need to remove references to dead slave backend

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 04:48:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 01/02/2013 05:04 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:
>
>> I had a slave backend die a few months ago and thought I had cleaned up
>> all the old recordings via find_orphans.py. However that doesn't seem to be
>> the case, as the script is "sticking" on one particular recording which it
>> thinks is still on the old backend. I've gone and deleted it from the GUI
>> on one of my front ends but that didn't seem to help.
>>

> Did it just put it in the Deleted recording group?  If so, when you go to
> Deleted recording group in Watch Recordings (MENU|Change group filter,
> Deleted), and delete from there, does it fix it.
>

>> From the wiki page at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Backend_migration<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration>step 3 has the mysql syntax that would tell Myth that all the recordings
>> are now owned by my master backend. I assume that once that change is made,
>> Myth will either auto-expire the recordings, or they'll be orphaned
>> recording entries that find_orphans.py can handle.
>>
>> Is my assumption correct? And is this the best way to remove references
>> to my dead back end? The email thread that spawned the article is about a
>> year and a half old so I figured I'd see if there is anything better than
>> what I'm planning before breaking things. I'm running 0.25-fixes.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> If it's not the above, you'll need to do that so that MythTV knows "who"
> owns the recording.  Once done, the recording should be deleted properly
> using any approach (including find_orphans.py).
>
> Mike

Thanks. I ran a backup, then executed the sql command and things look good.
However I think I jumped the gun by trying a find_orphans right away,
because looking at the backend logs there are a ton of the following:

Jan  2 23:46:28 magicbe mythbackend[9661]: E CoreContext mythsocket.cpp:389
(writeStringList) MythSocket(8bf9dd0:67): writeStringList: Error, No data
written on writeBlock (885 errors)#012#011#011#011starts with: 82
BACKEND_MESSAGE[]:[]UPDATE_FILE_SIZE 5745 2013-01-02...

I'm not panicking yet... I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, this is Myth
freaking out because it now thinks it owns almost a thousand recordings
that it can't find. I took a look in the AutoExpire list and there are
suddenly a ton of recordings from 2011 in there (which is when I lost my
first disk on the slave BE). I think I'm going to let Myth sort things out
before I try removing any more orphaned recordings.