[mythtv-users] Low powered nvidia GPU

Fred Watt fredwattmythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:54:47 UTC 2013

On 02/01/13 17:04, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
>> anything from nvidia on their current range (600-series) should be perfect.
>> which drives you use is dependant on the card you have bought; i beleive
>> phoronix did a test between the nouveau and offical nvidia drivers and it
>> was card dependant on which performed substantially better. the lower end
>> cards generally seemed to be better on the nouveau driver.
> VDPAU is not supported on the nouveau driver.  You have to use
> the nVidia binary blob driver for full VDPAU at this time (as I
> recall, there is some work using shaders in mesa, but that is
> not quite the same as using the dedicated hardware support).
>
> Gary
Thank you both for your thoughts, all progressive.  What I am looking
for is a low powered kepler card.  When the slave is recording without
anyone viewing the frontend it would lovely if the gpu idled as low as
was possible.  Likewise when myth frontend is in use, a low draw would
help with the efficiency of the slave.

The computer in question is a few years old - intel clarksdale. Rather
than upgrade the cpu & motherboard, I was thinking of a gpu purchase.
Intel do have a few issues the the clarksdale driver - VAAPI does not
really work, plus if you power on without the tv on, there's a problem
starting X.  Going back to the slot in GPU would give me a better
picture quality, remove the problems and allow me to extend the life of
the slave hardware.

Any good suggestions for actual cards?  Again I am happy with a GPU fan
I have a 10M hdmi cable back to the slave (in a cupboard).