[mythtv-users] Good card to buy for Comcast

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Wed Jan 2 00:05:57 UTC 2013

On 01/01/13 19:01, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> >I guess we could say you can't record premium channels UNLESS you record the
>> >output of your cable tuner box (which requires an IR blaster and which I'm
>> >not going to do).
> Right, a common solution for the channels that are marked
> as copy-once (the premiums for Comcast, almost everything
> for some other providers) is to use the analog capture capabilities
> of something like a HD-PVR.
And if you're lucky, you can use firewire instead of an IR blaster,
which gives you better control over the cable box.  (With firewire, you
can potentially verify that it's turned on and make sure that you have
the right channel.  You can also often record the "copy freely" channels
over firewire, which, in theory gives you the exact same bitstream as a
HD Homerun Prime, though in practice, firewire isn't as stable with most
cable boxes.)