[mythtv-users] Have to start shows twice -- database problem???

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:16:38 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
> wrote:

> On 25/02/13 17:18, Allen Edwards wrote:
>

>> I was going to do the new drive update method.  I even have the new 2T
>> drive sitting right here next to me.  Then I got thinking about all the
>> upgrading I would need to do.
>>
>> 1) The Squeezebox server.
>> 2) The VM Windows server running Windows XP under Linux
>> 3) Fan speed control
>> 4) CPU Power control
>> 5) Custom myth menus to run Chrome and the fire off VM
>> 6) Setting it up so the projector and the TV and the computer monitor all
>> work
>> 7) Getting sound to both the TV (stereo) and the Surround system (4.1)
>> 8) Setting up the IR remote, which controls the TV, Projector, HiFi, room
>> lights, and Myth
>> 9) The things I forgot that I did
>>
>> Even getting Linux to boot on my MB was a huge pain.  I think that took me
>> about week.  At one point I called ASUS and the advice I got was to buy an
>> Intel MB (I have AMD).  The solution was to mess with the order that
>> things
>> are done in the boot process.  I wish I could remember what I did.
>>
>> To that I could add the things that are now easy, setting up Myth...
>>
>> The bottom line is that the system worked perfectly for several years so
>> something changed and if I can just fix that, we will be happy.
>>
>>  Things have moved on, as they say. I suspect that if you decide to
> upgrade your OS then you'll likely find that things you had to wrestle with
> back in the day just work 'right out of the box' now.
>
> My advice: don't upgrade. Take this as an opportunity to rethink your
> whole setup. After all, the last time you did this was 0.21, right? Look at
> new motherboards. You'll probably find a new one that will be cheaper and
> take half the power (or less) while giving you the same (or more) grunt.
>
> The newest versions of operating system will likely make your life easier
> as well. Case in point: Xorg, which now does much of the configuration by
> itself, meaning you don't need to (for most of us.. there's always one or
> two!).
>
> You shouldn't even need to set up your remote again, unless it *all* runs
> through your myth system. The new myth instance is all that should need to
> re-learn your IR commands, after all. Did I mention that Infra-Red handling
> is now different in the newer kernels?
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

OK, Mike (and anyone else who wants to offer up an opinion)

Say I follow your advice and replace rather than update.  What HW should I
buy?  What CPU (Intel this time), what MB, what Graphics card (or built in?)

Significant requirements:

1) As I have two audio sinks, I now have two spdif (analog connector)
outputs. One goes to my Surround decoder which is 4.1.  The other goes to a
decoder and outputs stereo to the TV. Ideal would be a digital output to
the surround box and analog outputs to the TV so I could get rid of the
decoder. The second spdif output is wired to the second spidf port on the
MB, the first one is standard MB output.

2) The Video goes to a TV which is 1080P capable but locked to 720p by
XORG.conf so that I can easily switch the output to the projector which is
native 720P (I have a DVI splitter that drives the TV and the projector).
 I can't do auto detect as the projector will report that it can take 1080p
but then produces a vastly inferior picture.  There is also a third display
that is the main desktop.  Ubuntu is on the secondary desktop so I can do
administrative and system stuff from the second display.  Myth is on either
the TV or the Projector (or both) but it is duplicated by the splitter.

I am always fearful that any new HW will break my video setup and refuse to
play with the DVI splitter, or that I won't be able to lock it to 720p.