[mythtv-users] HD playback does not work well

Marius Bjørnstad pmb at fa2k.net
Mon Feb 25 10:37:13 UTC 2013

Thanks a lot for the reply!

On 25/02/13 03:27, HP-mini wrote:

> There was a ffmpeg commit (early in 0.26+fixes) that caused gross
> jittering/mixed up frame order..
> That commit was required for certain BBC-HD channels.
> This was reversed some weeks later.
So my package was built 10th February. Seems I got unlucky. I do think
this problem was present before then though.
> A later commit fixed BBC-HD without breaking every other H264 recording.
Looking forward to that coming out. The problem does appear on BBC, but
also on the small number of other HD channels  I have available.
> Can you fix (temporarily) by pause-play or seek-back-forward or
> bookmark-exit-play ?
This sometimes fixes it, but not always.
> What have do you use for recording?.
I record the free UK channels using a TBS 6280 dual tuner card. I only
get signal information when I start Live TV, and then I get SNR=3.3 dB
and 98 % signal quality. I assume that 98 % is before Forward Error
Correction, though, and that the effective error rate should be less,
otherwise this would explain the problem
> There have been lots of commits in master by Jim Stichnoth (& patchable
> into 0.26+fixes) tagged with HD-PVR & Keyframe/I frame detection,
> missing packets etc.
> All those commits were very relevant to my H264 dvb-t recordings &
> cutlist editor functionality.
>
> 25/50Hz playback on 60Hz refresh rate became jittery with myth0.25 on..
> VLC, mplayer & XBMC don't have this problem (XBMC has a menu setting).
> There is a simple 5-6 line patch to revert to 0.24 behaviour..
I have to google that one when there is time. I think it's acceptable in
mythtv, for example with SD video, but I see how it could be improved.

In the meantime I'll see if I can get a straight filename using mythweb
or I'll use the script which makes symlinks.

Marius