[mythtv-users] MythTV problems with 3.7.x and 3.8.x kernel

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:51:14 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net> wrote:
> I work in driver development for wireless devices and need to work with the
> latest cutting-edge kernels. As such, I have bisected for regressions many
> times. Note: The mainline tree only knows about the .0 version - any
> follow-on fixes are kept in a separate repository. Mainline refers to
> versions as v3.7, not v3.7.0.
>
> The 'git bisect' tool is very powerful; however, when bisecting between
> releases such as 3.6 and 3.7, the first set of commits frequently cause the
> most problems with build errors and run-time faults that have nothing to do
> with the bug under investigation. I would suggest starting with the git
> command 'git checkout v3.7-rc1'. If the resulting kernel is OK, then you
> bisect between v3.7 (bad) and v3.7-rc1 (good) and you will avoid the worst
> of those problems. If -rc1 has the problem with the DVD, then the bad
> version is v3.7-rc1 and good is v3.6.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Larry

Hmm... I guess I should have tried compiling v3.7-rc1 first to see if
that had the same issue.  Well, this is a learning experience so I
guess doing it the hard way is adding to my learning?  Actually, I'm
in the middle of a compile right now but after this one I'll take
break from the bisect and try v3.7-rc1 and see how it goes.

I'm bisecting between v3.6 and v3.7.  I'm on iteration 4 right now (I
think) with the first two bad and the third good.  It said I have 11
more iterations.

Thanks for everyone's help!